Search This Blog

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Safety

As we are getting prepared for a major cross country trip for us and the dogs, I started thinking about safety.  Last year, we had several high profile dog sports folk lose one of their beloved family members post auto accident and then the 2011 study came out  showing (graphically with dog crash test dummies) how all of the (at the time) commercially available dog seat belts performed in a 35mph crash test.
http://centerforpetsafety.org/research/

I also had a little personal incident where a slightly more aggressive tap on the breaks sent my own dog crashing into the dashboard.  Yipe.   What's a dog owner to do?

Note:  There is no advertising on my page so everything I show that I own, I bought.  Nobody is paying me to advertise their stuff.

The good thing about the above test is that it was only a matter of time before someone did create a seatbelt that was crash tested.   The one we own is the Sleepypod Clickit, a three point harness that attaches to your LATCH system like a child safety seat.  I have to say, the customer service at Sleepy pod is also awesome.

  













Correctly fitting Sleepy Pod harnesses



                                                                                                             Not so correctly fitting harness

Eventually, Rogue will fit into that harness, but until she does, it's not safe for her to use.

Pre-harness, we used and still do use crates.  Our smallest car actually perfectly fits one of our two soft sided crates.  It fits so snugly, that there's no way that thing is going to move even if we have an accident.   We can fit two crates in our larger car.

Which crates to use?  I admit, I use the soft sided crates.  They're easy to put up and take down and easy to carry.  Other options are the metal or hard plastic ones.  

 Our three crates by (left to right) Nature's Miracle, Top Paw and Noz2Noz

I couldn't find any type of research to support one type of crate over another as far as dog safety in the car.  The only one I know of that has been tested and is designed specifically for dog safety in the car is the Variocage.   I'd have one if they weren't so expensive Don't get me wrong, if I was a hard core dog sport player who spent more weekends than not with my dog in the car traveling hundreds of miles, I think I'd probably invest in one.



 How do I want thee?  Let me count the dogs.

But how is Rogue doing?  Her UTI is pretty much gone (pending test results) and the number of accidents in the house has plummeted.  A future blog is going to bemoan the fact that she's tall enough to get her paws on things and how we're handling it.

And she's still growing.  These two pictures are ten weeks apart. Where is my puppy going?



 















I can't believe she was ever this small?                                                            No, I don't love this puppy at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment